Friday, September 4, 2009

Culture Shock

Some of the words you can hear coming out of my mouth, "It's been an amazing summer." I will truly attest to that. I'm sad to see summer leave, but something new will start. As I left Skagway, I was truly saddened to see it go. Skagway had some really ugly weather the last few weeks but my last day was perfect. The perfect goodbye. I was really sad to see my simple but yet amazing life left behind. I am really going to miss hopping on my bike and riding to wherever I need to go. Going out for walks and hikes, just to enjoy the beautiful mountains.
When I got Juneau. A friend let me borrow her car so that I could say some goodbyes to some other friends who lived across town. I hopped in her car and was not accustomed to such a small steering wheel and listening to the radio, a good radio station for that fact, was a lot of fun. This was the start of merging into a crazier form of life.
Then next day was the killer. I went back to the airport to start my way to WA. The airport in Juneau was my last goodbye to Alaska. As I sat and people watched, there was all the classic Alaska people. Men with beards and Xtra Tuff rain boots. Patagonia fleeces, and hiking boots. Hippies with unshaven legs. Once we landed in Seattle everything was instantly crazy.
As I walked off the plane I was assaulted with crowds of people. My next terminal was all the way across the airport and I had to take 3 trains to get there. I couldn't believe it. It was really funny going from hippy to fashionable. Chacos to stiletto heels. I couldn't believe it. Stilettos while traveling! Yuck! My life is changing. I'm going from simply driving a bus and giving a tour, to running late for class and juggling 16 credits and a social life. I'm going from amazing to crazy! I keep finding all this hesitation in me because of starting another school year. I just want to run away and do the easy simple things again.
Here is my motto for the year, Keep Moving Forward. I can do it, and I will do it.

3 comments:

  1. i believe in you. you'll miss alaska...i miss it....but yeah, too bad we can't all stay there forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how much I agree with you!! Skagway is such an amazing place! I hope that you are settling into your new place ok and have a great semester!! I miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking up your motto too! Sounds like you had such a great summer...wish I would have gone back to AK. to work when I was single. What fabulous memories you have. Enjoy school too...before you know it that chapter of your life will be over and you'll be old like me! :)

    ReplyDelete